Why Do You Create?

by Jonathan Hilton

creativityCreativity to me used to be a word that I thought only others could do.  I  never felt that I was much of an artist or a craftsman at anything at all.  My art was ridiculous, by writing was atrocious and anything else I tried to make was a mockery to anything called perfection. It was with this attitude that I started this journey of creation.  Shortening the space between myself and the world.

Call of Creativity

For many years I didn’t really create much of anything. I was only very rarely artistic and it was always done in a mocking way.  I would mock what I made, lest anyone think I really tried and ridicule my creations first.  Suddenly life started putting me into situations where I had to create all of the time.  Writing, graphic design, layouts for newspapers, all needed to be thought out and created.

There is something sensationally wonderful about looking at a thing that never existed before until it came out of your mind and into existence.  It could be a catchy slogan or a graphic design, or a story that you wrote, or a thought that you captured and wrote down for the world to read.

Being Creative

art and stuffBeing creative is the most life affirming thing there is on the planet.  It doesn’t matter what you make or how you do it, it is still fascinating.  I find myself in admiration of others creations all the time.  Even if it isn’t anything I know anything about.  Some people create DIY projects that are amazingly clever. Others bake delicious foods.  Neither of these things I would want to do, but I appreciate the creativity and passion that the authors display in their quest to create well.

Creativity Soothes and Heals

healsYou don’t have to look very far to see all of the healing that creativity provides.  I read many blogs that people write to help them process a crisis they have gone through or are experiencing today. A loss, a defeat, a wrong suffered, all of these produce pain and emotions and creativity allows them to express these frustrations and to deal with them in a way that builds the individual up after a tough circumstance rather than let whatever happened to them win.

Why I Create

i create coloredCreativity crept up on me and I had no choice as I started to realize how powerful a substance it is.  Whether it is a graphic, a story, a thought, a blog post, a poorly drawn picture or anything else, creating things has become and expression of my soul.  I create loudly in my own way, wondering if anyone can hear and to be ready to listen to their returning call.  Yes I see your humanity, I am here too.

I feel like I don’t have a choice now, that if I don’t build something, or construct somehow I am going to cease to exist, or my voice as frail as it may be will be snuffed out before what I have to say has been heard by anyone.

There are people with great talent and people with great passion and I applaud them all, but I find it hard to believe that anyone can get the joy out of simply creating that I feel in my soul.  Like walking through a freshly fallen snow or making footprints on a once unmarked beach of sand, it is like you are the first one to think those things and put them on paper.

Your Turn Now

If you have read this far then it is now your turn.  I challenge you to create in your life.  It doesn’t matter what it is, draw if that is what you do. Cook and bake if that is how your essence is displayed for the world.  Every soul has the power to create something that can only come from you, so find it and create it and release it to the world. It is your duty to yourself.

Why Do YOU create?

15 thoughts on “Why Do You Create?

1. Purnimodo

Ah but you are very much an artist. You have a very unique ‘sound’ and I totally LOVE your drawings. Your posts and works remind me lot of Max Velthuijs and Jean Webster. A nice balance between delightful wit, charm, compassion, creativity and both old folk as well as children’s wisdom!

I think everything around us – as life itself- is art. Each creature living on this planet is both the artist as well as the canvas. Not always a pretty or kind sight but a miracle nonetheless.

1. Jon

There you are!! I am so excited to see your comment! I am thankful for your kind words as well. If you don’t write them who else is going to? I agree, everything around us is art!! Sometimes life can be hard, but that is when you have to rely on those around you to help you through the rough patches. Sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo happy to hear from you my friend. I am grateful for your comments.

2. istopforsuffering

I strongly agree with his Jon. For me photography is my creative outlet. It’s the only creative pursuit I’ve ever had that I can totally lose myself in. I lose track of time, my surroundings, myself. And I am “in the zone”. it’s am amazing, empowering experience. You have inspired me to get my camera out today :-). Meg

1. Jon

That is great Meg! You are such a creative person, I can’t wait to see what kind of images your camera captures! I am the same way. Thank you so much for commenting and keeping me so motivated! I love your Facebook quotes. I feel like we live a few towns away not on the other side of the world! I am grateful for you and your friendship.

3. thehappyhugger

I love what you said about creativity, Jon. As an artist I realise that there are so many people who feel they cannot create and it is most rewarding when they see and realise that they can create anything they want, that door in their mind just has to open :)

4. Alarna Rose Gray

It’s great that you found your way to creativity, Jon! I believe everyone has it in them in some way or form… It’s a question of finding it. Writing is the only thing that transports me, and somehow, it changes me as well. Maybe that’s what the buzz is all about? Creativity as an act of transformation and self-discovery?

1. Jon

Thank you Alarna Rose for the great comment. I took care of the duplicate and nobody is any the wiser. I personally love to get comments so the more the merrier, you can double, triple or quadruple them. :-) I agree with what you said about creativity being the key to transformation and understanding. Making something that is completely you, from you and wouldn’t exist if not for you is powerful and self affirming! That is what the buzz is all about, I think. I am continually grateful that you choose to comment on my blog. It makes my day.

5. raimyd

Yup! Life without creative endeavors just isn’t life. It’s funny, just the other day I was remembering how I used to think there wasn’t a creative bone in my body, not until I decided that I didn’t have to be a perfect artist to create did I finally free myself and started living a colorful life :-) thanks for sharing.

1. Jon

I am so glad that you got over that and realized your potential to be great. Think of all of the great things I would have missed out on! Creativity is a connection to that authentic person inside you!! Thank you for all that you do, it is very much appreciated. :-)

6. jelliefishie

You’re right… creativity is essential to life – and that’s life as in living and enjoying and feeling and thinking, not just simply “surviving” in this world. Whenever depression hits it is hard to create for me, and yet being creative is the one thing that can decisively pull me out of a depression. Life has more meaning when you can create; the world is more beautiful when you add something to it.

1. Jon

That is a great thought. I agree with you. I know that you are a very talented and creative artist. I am in awe at what you create on such a regular basis! For much of my life I just never thought of creating as something I had the capacity to do. I think your description is awesome, “it can decisively pull me out of a depression.” For me, out of a bad mood. Some believe that when you are creative you are in touch with your authentic self. I think that may be true. Thank you so much for taking the time to leave this thoughtful comment. Keep being creative with that art, because that is truly a beautiful skill, that contributes to the world. :-)

1. Jon

Thank you so much for visiting my site and leaving comments. You are a woman of your word. I love the description of adding a prism of color to an otherwise black and white world. That is so appropriate with my own experience that it is scary. For many years I thought that creativity was for other people. Only recently have I seen the ability in my self to create and the power and freedom that comes with that! I am so grateful for your comments and thoughts. :-)

Let me know your thoughts.